When it comes to renting out homes, every landlord wants to make sure that their potential renter has a clean background check; this can prove that the renter is trustworthy with money handling and treating the property and the landlord’s equipment well. However, some landlord-renter relationships can end badly, potentially leading to an eviction notice. If an individual happens to have an eviction on their record, many may turn their heads and not allow them to rent anywhere else. People often wonder, is there something you can do to set aside or hide these evictions?

Unfortunately for the renter, evictions remain on your record indefinitely. Landlords are responsible for filing evictions, stating whether it is “for cause” or “without cause”. No matter the reason, having the word “eviction” on a rental record can be a red flag for other property mangers. Because eviction cases are civil and not criminal, the best thing for someone with one or more evictions is to find a landlord that is accepting of your current record.

As a renter shows an improvement on their rental record, a past eviction can become less of an issue for future landlords. The biggest problem for a renter is finding a landlord who knows of recent evictions or other issues and chooses to rent to them despite what their record shows. There is probably a better chance of single unit landlords renting to evicted people than complexes owned by larger companies.

When renting out places owned by other individuals, make sure to follow the rules and take care and responsibility for the things you do; the last thing anyone wants is to wake up and find an eviction notice taped to their front door.

Stephen K. Hachey, a Florida real estate attorney, can help your wade through this process and determine a positive solution. Contact him at 813-549-0096.

The opinions in this post are solely those of the author. The author takes full responsibility for the content. Like all blog posts, this is offered for general information purposes and does not constitute legal advice.