No other pest is more universally loathed than roaches, so having a roach problem in your home is not only a nuisance, it’s downright stressful.  Your landlord has a responsibility to maintain the premises in good shape and habitable, and that should mean pest free.  But things are rarely simple.  Trying the following options may help you get your landlord to keep his end of the deal—or else!

The best way to keep an amicable relationship with your landlord is to speak with them first.  Yes, roaches are annoying, but unless they make it impossible to inhabit the premises you will not be able to simply walk away from your lease.  First, put your concerns in writing and deliver a copy to your landlord by certified mail.  In the event your landlord takes no action, a copy of the written complaint can serve as proof that you gave proper notice of the problem going forward.

If your written demands yield no results, consider filing a complaint with your local housing authorities.  Having an inspector survey the premises can help push things forward.  Be thorough with the inspector when explaining your concerns and list your landlord’s violations in detail.

Another option is to try and resolve the issue yourself and deduct any costs from the rent.  If all else fails, filing suit in small claims court may just get you some results as money judgments tend to get landlords motivated to address the problem seriously or at the least negotiate the termination of your lease.

Finally, be patient; roaches are incredibly resilient and being rid of them takes a village!  So in addition to your landlord, reach out to your neighbors and make sure the entire building is aware of the roach problem.  Keep in mind that your lease agreement is a contract and breaching it may result in additional expenses and even more frustration for you.  Before you do anything drastic, consult with an attorney or expert in your area; many attorneys offer first-time consultations at no cost and can better equip you with the right tools to make your landlord deliver results or terminate your lease.

Stephen K. Hachey, a Florida real estate attorney, can help you navigate this process and make the most of a difficult situation. Contact him at 813-549-0096.

The opinions in this post are solely those of the author. The author takes full responsibility for the content. Like all blog posts, this is offered for general information purposes and does not constitute legal advice.
This post was written by Stephen Hachey. Follow Stephen on Google, Facebook, Twitter & Linkedin.